Sunday, January 30, 2011

John Mayer and John Denver; two sides of death's coin.

A few more notes on that open - mike night I attended this weekend.  Two of the performers played music that ought not be played, written, or spoken of for the betterment of society.  John Mayer and John Denver.  Where do I start with these two crotch goblins.  John Denver: a sedated, complacent, cornball, singing about the monotonous hard-on he has for rural America.  Country roads take you home?  Mountain Mamma?  West - fucking - Virginia?  What the fuck does that even mean?  He represents everything that I loath and hate about the baby boomers, or rather what they've all become.  George Carlin said it best in his Back in Town album: "a whiny , narcissistic, self-indulgent people with a simple philosophy: "Gimme that its mine!" "  John Denver is the movie sound track for the ex-hippie turned entrepreneur; the ones that work as foreman at the Navy ship yard on the week days and take nature hike on the weekends.  Safe, unchallenging, unimaginative, boring, filled to the fucking brim with cliches.  This is his legacy.  Because this asshole had "Rocky mountain high," my entire childhood was subjected to hearing the fallout from my parents nostalgic longing for theirs, via John Denver mix tapes.
     John Mayer.  So this it, huh?  This is the best we have to offer?  A gap commercial.  Music you hear while having dental work performed? Yes, he's good looking (hell I'de fuck him) but that doesn't excuse him for polluting the collective unconscious with his ring tones.  John Mayer's music can only be described as white noise; sounds that you hear everywhere and that are so common they've integrated themselves into the background.  "Fathers be good to your daughters?"  How in the fuck did this boring cornball sentimentality make its way into the national airwaves?  Everything that Bill Hicks said about Rick Astely you can immediately cross apply to John Mayer.  And he's a stand up comedian.  Trust me, you have nothing funnier than your music.

Kind of negative and unproductive, I know, but I have to unload it somewhere.  Next time I'll talk about music that I like or at least list it.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nick. Weird that you mentioned BILL HICKS 'cause I was thinking of him the whole time I was reading this post. You sound like him! xo, Berna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL. Hey Berna :). I think your the first (only) person to read this post.

      Delete