Saturday, March 5, 2011

While I was not at Comicon or Waxing Night Photography

As the title might (and in fact does) imply, I did not go to Comicon.  There was no angle in it.  Expensive to get in (45.00 per day), only open until 7:00 pm (leaving only 3 hours), and a hassle to get to Seattle.  Its this droning "nay-saying" that is transforming me into a 85 year old 31 yr old.  It needs to stop.  Now if not sooner.  I need to plan well and follow through well.  Money anxiety often keeps me from enjoying things while I simultaneously work for the man [if you don't mind I will periodically refer to visual aids in order to avoid writing more than is necessary].   Maybe I will make it over there tomorrow.  If it is any consolation to me, I will be wandering around tonight taking pictures of the things that I've been wanting to take pictures of at night.  Things like

Grand Street of Pullman, WA

  
and things like

Another street of Pullman, WA

and so it goes.  I'm all about the night - I don't go in for all that day shit.  I like moving lights and dissolving images.  I like how the dark swallows things up.  Anyway, I'm going to take some more pictures of the aforementioned effects in the vicinity of my house.  There is a moss-filled wooded area near my house that looks old and evil in that order.  I must photograph it.  The day has not yielded the best photography as of late.  Its mostly because I'm obsessed with minutia and  urban decay.  The execution of this interest is less impressive than the theory.  Take this photo for instance:

worn pay phones across from Pike Place Seattle, WA

The day kind of ruins it because everybody sees things like this in the day.  Its like flipping through a family photo album of someone you don't know.  The scenery looks familiar but who the fuck cares.  Low light allows people to project.  In that respect night photos are Rorschach ink blots or something pretentious like that.  As long as I'm dealing with the day (and the night for that matter) urban decay is always interesting to me.  Not in a political hand-ringing way - its purely aesthetic.  Modern ruins are fun to look at like this 

Abandoned Apartment Building on Capital Hill Seattle, WA

Well, thats quite enough of my preaching.  The point is:  instead of going to Comicon I will be making more of these...which I think we can all agree is less interesting than going to Comicon.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment