Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pictures of Alleys in Seattle

I always find myself photographing urban decay.  When in Seattle the alleys draw me in and I inexorably end up documenting these gaps between buildings.  These places are where degenerates go to mug, bums go to die, and garbage go to...throw away.  Alleys symbolize shady places in the infrastructure; unmonitored and unattended. For every roll of film I shoot at least 10 out of a 24 exposure roll go towards alleys and the things in them.  Usually I wait for a person to walk through the alley.  This always gives the picture a forced implication of sadness.  No real incite here its just something I'm drawn to.

One of many dark dim alleys of Seattle 

Seattle was sunny this time around (photo above was taken last time) but I still have little interaction with the people thereof.  I was tired, and when I'm tired I get socially paranoid.  I feel that I'm annoying everyone and assume an introverted concentration, hoping to deter would-be conversationalists.  Not a good quality to have because it blocks interaction with other perspectives and points of view.  I do watch people, though.  I listen to their conversations and observe their mannerisms.  At times I'm tempted to find a way into their narratives.  Usually no way exists, or its existence is not apparent to me.  Luckily I was able to get into Jaeh Juh's narrative.  I eventually left Seattle and took the ferry across the river Styx back home where I live in fear of the neighborhood watch.
The Underworld Neighborhood 

No comments:

Post a Comment